St. Paul’s Episcopal Church in Winston-Salem, NC is seeking a full-time Director to lead St. Paul’s Episcopal School, which is a newly created program aimed at cultivating critical thinkers with a strong sense of community through opportunities for collaboration, community service, chapel, and a curriculum nurtured by worship in the Episcopal tradition. With a child-centered approach that focuses on collaboration, experiential learning and embraces nature and the outdoors, St. Paul’s Episcopal School will utilize the Reggio-Emilia-inspired pedagogy that has supported the instructional, emotional, and behavioral needs of individual students for over 50 years. At this time, St. Paul’s Episcopal School will begin with preschool students. The Director will report to the Director of Children’s Ministries under the Rector and take advice from the St. Paul’s Episcopal School Advisory Council, and Vestry.
Director of Preschool – Position Description
The Director is a year-round position responsible for the day-to-day operation and administration of the St. Paul’s Episcopal School and after-school program. The successful Director will exhibit the following characteristics:
- A collaborative leader who can uphold and promote the mission, vision, and values of St. Paul’s Episcopal School with current and prospective families and in the community.
- A creative, positive, and inspired developer who can establish, implement, and maintain a Reggio-Emilia-inspired curriculum that aligns with the mission, vision, and values.
- An effective supervisor who can recruit and develop a team of effective and diverse educators.
- A skilled communicator who inspires, supports, and facilitates dialogue between and among various constituent groups (faculty, staff, parents, Vestry, and St. Paul’s Church, and community members) in order to unite the community around a common vision.
For a listing of essential responsibilities for this position, please review the job description accessible via the following link: www.spepiscopal.org.
- B.S. Early Childhood Development/Education or related degree. M. Ed. Administration or related advanced degree preferred.
- Demonstrated professional experience in school administration, supervision, and/or leadership.
- Passion for working with children, educators, and staff to support institutional mission, vision, and values.
- Demonstrated cultural competency and understanding of how diverse backgrounds, experiences, identities, and perspectives enrich the educational environment.
- Demonstrated success recruiting, supervising, and developing high-functioning teams.
- Demonstrated innovation and outreach experience in educational and community settings.
- Demonstrated experience with finance and budgetary management and oversight.
- Commitment to faithfully serve the School, Church, and Winston-Salem community.
Required Application Materials
Interested and qualified candidates should submit the following materials to email@example.com. Applications will be acknowledged by email and reviewed on an ongoing basis. Candidates will be notified of their status after the Search Committee reviews their submission.
- A cover letter expressing interest in this particular position
- A current résumé
- Short answer question:
- What do you feel are the greatest challenges facing private preschools at this time and in the future? How would you lead St. Paul’s through these challenges?
- What does a school being a ministry of a church mean to you?
- A list of three professional references with name, relationship, phone number, and email address of each (references will not be contacted without the candidate’s permission)
St. Paul’s Episcopal Church offers a competitive salary based on experience and education level, as well as medical benefits and pension contributions.
St. Paul’s Episcopal Church is an equal employment opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, religion, national or ethnic origin, age, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.